Sunday 22 July 2012

Reflection

I have learnt so much whilst being at the National, and at the same time it has firmed up some things I think I already knew.

I've had a really positive experience. I feel like my work is good enough for the professional environment, I've seen some of the costumes I've made and helped to make on the real stage, and I've worked with a really nice group of people for 3 weeks and felt comfortable and settled really quickly. I now know that when I go into a professional working environment I can feel confident and comfortable with my work as soon as I get there. I know I need to work faster, but for now I know my costumes will not fall apart...

I've also learnt some things the hard way. The designers and surrounding company are not there to appreciate your costumes, and you will only hear from them if something is wrong. Also, commuting in London is difficult. Being on the tube is depressing, especially before the Olympics. Everyone looks tired and grey and bored. This often conduces low level rudeness. Bad times.

I really appreciate all the help and information I was given at the National, and I really hope they'll have me back one day. For now I'm going to work really hard to create beautiful costumes for my final show that are finished to a high standard. I am going to try to get as much work experience as possible with as many people as possible, and get my name around in the costume world.

I feel very privileged to already have, as they say, 'one foot in the door.'

No comments:

Post a Comment