Sunday 15 July 2012

End of Week Two - Really Getting into the Swing of it!

Another fantastically busy week at the National Theatre and I'm really enjoying my time there! I've been given lots of responsibilities and things to make and do this week that I'm so proud of and I cannot wait to see them on stage next week! Here's a few of the things I've made during week two...

Monday - continued working on blue outfit skirt (waistband, poppers, hooks and bars applied) and started working on blue outfit jacket (applied navy braid to collar and cuffs)


Details of navy braid trim pinned and then sewn to collar of blue jacket

Tuesday - continued working on blue outfit skirt (applied navy braid decoration). Did hardly any work in the afternoon as we were allowed to attend the open dress rehearsal of the National's big new show, 'Timon of Athens' featuring Simon Russel Beale (hence the show's new nickname, Simon of Athens). It was a really nice afternoon and although the producing was only at dress rehearsal stage it felt finished and like watching a proper evening performance. I feel very privileged that I get to see this side of the theatre, and that I have been able to attend such performances at no cost!

Details of navy braid trim pinned in pattern on skirt 

Wednesday - completed working on navy braid decoration on skirt and put the costume on the stand for the designer to come to have a look at. Also applied black poppers to maid's skirt and finished hem on brown herringbone skirt.


Got a chance to see the costume on the stand for when the designer came to have a look at it. I'm so pleased with the way it's turned out, and although I really haven't made that much in the way of actually constructing the garment, I feel quite responsible for how it looks, and I can't wait to see it on stage!

Thursday - following meeting with designer applied MORE braid to blue outfit jacket, and started on the skirt, before going to see one of the National's POP-UP plays 'Re-Write'. POP-UP is a temporary summer theatre at the National in which new and young writers have been able to show their ideas and texts. The performance we went to see was written by an A-Level student and had been designed by one of the men's tailoring cutters, who is leaving the department to continue on a design/supervising freelance route. The show was very impressive considering the writer was only 17, and it was short and punchy, starting at 4pm and finishing at 4.45pm, meaning I still got a little bit more stitching in before the end of the day.

Friday - finally finished applying the new braid to blue skirt and finished new waistband, as we'd discovered it was a bit big on the stand when showing it to the designer on Wednesday. Also finished belt for maid's outfit. Made 20 self-covered buttons on the genius machine in the store room and did some little alterations bits and bobs to finish the day.

I'm really getting used to working full days and am a lot less tired than I thought I would be at this point. Everybody has been really helpful and are trying to find lots of jobs for me to do, and really show me every side of the work they get done in the workroom at the National. Although I consider it to be more actual 'work' and less 'experience', I have been able to imagine what working in the theatre is really like, and have seen many aspects of the day-to-day running of the workroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment