Saturday 7 July 2012

End of Week One - What a Whirlwind!

This week has gone so fast and I am shattered. The ladies department start work at 8am and work until 5pm, which means, considering my commute, I have been getting up at 6.15am every day to get to the National on time. I can't complain really though as I have a place to stay in London for the time I'm working here; some of the people in the workroom, who have been there from 6-12 years, don't have accommodation near London. One of the ladies commutes from Southampton. To get into London at 8am. Every day. Now that's what I call dedication!

I have continued to work on costumes for 'Doctors Dilemma' this week, and the days have gone really quickly! It's a real struggle getting up, and the commute's not that great, but once I get to the National the hours fly! Here's just a few of the things I've been working on so far this week:

Tuesday - finished work on red dress hem, applied poppers to green skirt placket, started working on cream blouse for blue outfit (overlocked seams)

Wednesday - continued working on cream blouse for blue outfit including...

Bias binding on armholes (as garment is for quick change so did away with sleeves to make easier). Topstitching on CF and CB pleats to hold in position.

Applied placket to CB and attached poppers for quick change.

Thursday - continued work on cream blouse for blue outfit including...

Attached new collar with false CF opening and actual CB opening.

Stab-stitched through CF fastening to create false front effect.

Sewed on glass buttons down false CF and onto collar, although it was later decided a different embellishment would be added to the collar and the button was removed.

Close-up image of silver-latticed glass button on false CF

Friday - finished working on cream blouse for blue outfit (sewed name label into shoulder and took out tacking) and started working on blue outfit skirt hem.

New hand-stitch I learnt whislt hemming blue skirt. It's like a blanket stitch crossed with a slip-stitch and it catches down the under-side of the skirt hem rather than a stitch which loops over the top of the overlocking, which might create a bulky look on this type of fabric after pressing and excessive wear.

I have been so careful with my work this week and I think it's really paid off as I've been given a lot of responsibilities with delicate and important costumes in the workroom, which I don't think I would have done if the people I was working with didn't trust me. I think it's going to take a while to get used to working life though, as I'm getting really tired in the evenings. I'm hoping that as I get into next week I'll get more into the swing of things and be able to really enjoy the early starts! I really appreciate all the time the costume workroom people are spending with me, and everyone has been really welcoming and lovely.


No comments:

Post a Comment