Thursday 20 December 2012

School of Performance Productions 2012: Razzle!

So seeing as I'd worked on 3/4 performances of the autumn/winter term at AUCB I thought I should probably cross the last one off the list and add a full compliment of shows to my experience. This turned out to be a good decision, as everyone who wasn't on the making team for the show On The Razzle seemed to shun all further responsibility after their own shows, meaning this last one was a bit left in the lurch.

It was going to be a bit of challenge as this show had quite a few actors doubling up roles, with quite quick changes between the two, including a character change from a waiter to a distinguished older lady in about 3 minutes, and then from the woman into a young boy in about 6 minutes! It was really good experience to be involved in quick changes, and it was also a good way of getting to know the actors quite quickly. The team had a really good system put together after a few rehearsals for the quick changes, and by the final night the actors were almost twiddling their thumbs backstage waiting to go on after their changes....almost. The dressing room wasn't perhaps quite as organised as for previous shows but this didn't stop us from getting everyone dressed in their costumes on time, and everyone looked really smart and absolutely beautiful.

This term has really opened my eyes to new experiences and I've learnt so much. I know this is a cliche and everyone says it, but I really have! My work was finished more quickly than ever before, but also to a higher standard. I've worked the longest days I've ever done at university this term but all for a good cause. I've seen how a show works from the initial design phase right up until closing night, and have been involved in every single phase, albeit not all on the same show. Roll on EMP and the last projects I'm going to do at uni.



Terrified and so excited all in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment